To: All TCSA Rec Participants
From: TCSA Board of Directors
RE: Games on Saturday, 10/14
The weather conditions on Saturday, 10/14, became a hardship for everyone planning/participating in outdoor activities. For any difficulties or hardships created by our decision to play, we sincerely apologize.
This note is a quick explanation for our decision and to institute some corrections moving forward.
1. Our policy is: we will play if fields are open; in rain, wind, heat, but NOT if lightning/thunder is witnessed. Fields were open (after we consulted the park district) and so we posted 'Games are on" … NOT predicting if lightning/thunder would or would not persist to halt games.
8:30 - games not played because of lightning
10:00 - games played until lightning / thunder ended them
11:30 - games would be played but a)many teams did not show b) lightning came again about 12:00 (WMS fields witnessed)
1:00 & 2:30 - Due to rain soaking the fields, the Park Districts called and closed them for the balance of the weekend. We posted ‘Games Canceled’ as our policy stated with fields now closed.
2. The "weather warning system" at Breen did not function properly - signaling the All Clear when there was lightning and thunder (8:25am). The Park District owns and is responsible for the operation of this equipment. We have notified them to have it serviced and re-calibrated.
3. The decision to post the games would be played was made around 7:20 am, however, the posting was late due to our error at TCSA in accessing the website notification banner. This has been remedied. For this late notification, we apologize. Many calls that were made were answered as quickly as possible.
4. As for referee’s notifications; due to new privacy laws, we are not allowed to list referee phone numbers in the coach’s handbooks. The late decisions by teams to not play combined with some ‘no calls’ about game cancellations caused late/no notification to you. We will institute a new communications system moving forward.
Our intention was to allow games to be played under the strict safety standards of our lightning policy. Today (after the fact) we still feel IF the fields remained open, the afternoon games would have probably been played as the lightning was out of the area. As a note, in past years, we have had games cancelled due to thunder in Batavia while at Breen (in St. Charles) games were playing under sunny skies. We will never claim to be predictors of the weather. We determine play based on fields open and holding strict to having games stopped by coaches/referees in the event of lightning/thunder.
Again, we do apologize for the frustrations experienced by some of our participants. We thank you again for your support to TCSA Recreational Soccer. As always, any new activities in responding to predictable weather-related conditions will be set into rule changes moving forward and printed in the materials issued to our volunteer coaches.
Regards, TCSA Board of Directors